Monday, October 20, 2014

Between the Downpours

The weekend weather was superb. I got so much done. Plants that needed to be moved, got moved and newbies that needed an in-ground home got one. I still have more to do, of course. Don't we all? 

Today I took some photos between downpours but had to hurry because the sunny reprieve was short and I didn't want raindrops to ruin my camera. Now, at my laptop, it's sunny outside again and this after hail about ten minutes ago. It's fall. 


Somebody found this pillowy zinnia a little too comfortable and forgot to fly home. 

My pink Bacopa is in a hanging container. It has been blooming nonstop since April.
The bees love it. And so do I. 

A final Echinacea blooms amid the upright pink Indigofera blossoms. 

Oenothera pallida is still blooming. It's very fragrant too. 

Dahlia 'Rip City' is trying. It's a newbie. I think the plant will look better next year. 

Dahlia 'Mystic Wonder' has a few blossoms left too. 

Dahlia 'Ivanhoe' is such a cool plant.

Dahlia 'Dutch Explosion' is the definition of prolific bloomer.

Here is another blossom. I love it. 

Look at my 'Frost Proof' Gardenia. I thought it was finished blooming but it surprised me. 

Brachyscomb 'Radiant Magenta' is another long bloomer. 

This is progeny of Nicotiana 'Tinkerbell'. I grew its parent three or four years ago, let it go to seed
and now each year I get baby plants that grow up and bloom and scatter seed for the following year.
Most of them are a medium pink color but this one is a dark red. 

Several weeks ago, walking past my Elaeagnus x ebbingei 'Gilt Edge'
I caught a whiff of its tiny but extremely fragrant flowers. It is still going strong.
And the bees love them.  

Fuchsias are still dazzling, despite being hammered by rain and hail.
How do they do that? 

This fuchsia and the one above it are NOID. Darn it.

This is 'Olympics Sunset'--a newbie from Fry Road this year. 

Believe it not, this too is a Fuchsia. It's called 'Whiteknights Cheeky.'
The tag says it's hardy here in my Zone 8 garden. It's still in a pot but the chances of winter survival
increase dramatically if it's in the ground. I need to get it planted soon.  

Here is another one that still needs an in-ground home.
It's called Fuchsia 'Blue Troll.' The flowers are really tiny. 

A bunch of plants in this photo are cut back already exposing too much dirt (for my taste).
Next year, next year....
In the front is, Farfugium japonicum 'Crispatum'. Behind it, Euphorbia stygiana and behind
that is Zingiber mioga 'Nafuku'. If the temps get seriously cold this winter,
I'll be throwing a thermal blanket over the whole lot.
 
In the same bed are a few more leafy loves. Since the return of wet weather,
the Acanthus mollis has really perked up, making Hosta 'Paradigm' look good, despite all the slug holes.  

The berries on my Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantisima' are Christmas-red now, even though the
foliage is still apple green. In short order, the foliage will be as red as the berries. 

And soon thereafter, the robins will devour the berries. 

One of the little independent nurseries I love to visit every year had this little plant for sale.
Mimosa pudica or "Sensitive Plant." Here it is in Stage 1. 

Here it is after being gently touched. 

And here it a few seconds later. Such a fun plant. It grew wild in Hawaii. I remember as a kid, playing with it while
tromping around the countryside of the Big Island. 

The coleus I tucked in to the scented Geranium (Pelargonium) pot has finally grown tall enough to be seen. 

Speaking of "tall enough," this Canna was a gift from gal Pal Carol.
It's gotten huge. I love it. 

Random gardens shots... the south end. 

The north end... The Heptacodium foliage is making a real mess of things. 

In the middle, looking south. 

In the middle looking north. 

Looking out from the patio to the world beyond. 
In the past few months, I've posted a few photos of Zip but lest you think
 we are a simple, clear headed, one-cat family,
I'll dispel that myth with photos of the other three. 
Yes, we're a four-cat family.

This is Nala. Notice her sitting on our expensive, high-end furniture. (Not.) 

This is Nala's brother Taz. He looks like a kitten here but he's actually bigger than Nala. 

And this is Mira. 

11 comments:

  1. Four cats--wow! We have two, and that seems like too many at times. (Actually, I love them both dearly, so I'm glad to have two.) All of your kitties are so cute. You have some healthy, lovely Fuchsia plants! Mine are still going strong, too. I've been bringing them into the porch on cold nights. They're my favorite plants for hanging baskets! Beautiful post, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You still have so much going on in your garden. Mine is winding down, and I think the sunny weekend weather on Sunday was our last sunny day in a while. Love the shots of your kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lovely - I hope that hail doesn't knock out all those blooms. The cats are all beautiful. I lost my older cat earlier this year to illness and worried that my remaining cat, Pipig, would be lonely; however, for now anyway, she seems to like being queen of the household.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter what time of year, your gardens are lovely!!! I enjoy it always.

    Love your kitties!

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even in fall decline your garden looks lovely...so many beautiful blossoms. When I scrolled down to the "sensitive plant" I had to stop and tears came to my eyes. I remember so long ago my Grandmother having these in her yard and how I loved to sit and touch them to watch them fold. Thanks for the memory. If I remember correctly, it seems hers had tiny pink round ball blossoms. Do yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also put my potted fuchsias in the ground, along with a gardenia, as I was afraid they wouldn't make it, otherwise. Really hoping we don't have a repeat of last winter!
    Oh my goodness, that canna! Wowzers!!
    Your kitties are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for beautiful foliage surrounding a single blossom. 'Gilt Edge' fills the bill. Thanks for the walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is beautiful. Love your color combinations and sense of aesthetics! Yard art is wonderful. Do you dig up your dahlias every fall? Love your kitties.....indoor or outdoor?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This summer was great, and this fall is (was before the rains ) great too. Your garden is a proof. So many blooms! ...and cats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always fun seeing your garden, Grace. You have so many lovely blooms and cool paths and garden art. I love the bed springs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how much color and sass your garden has. :o) I've been in a race trying to get things in the ground and redesigned in time for winter. I can't believe I have to work when there is so much gardening to do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.